Mark it on your calendars -I, Sara, sent my first student home today. Yup, they crossed the line. Not that it was pleasant, but I'm learning how to be stern & make my students do what they're told. Whew. Scott (who's co-teaching with me this month. He's also my boss/head educator/sales & marketing manager) sent a student home, I sent a student home, and a third left on her own before I would have sent her home. What didn't they do? They didn't have the "tools" (rollers for rollersets, a mannequin head with hair long enough to practice the cut we taught them this morning, etc) they needed to execute what was asked of them today (& it's on the calendar we hand out each month). Graham Webb Academy is super structured, & admittedly has a lot of rules, but our students really flourish (& even enjoy themselves) once they settle into the saddle -mostly because they are SO creative that they need to know the parameters of the "sandbox" they get to "play" in! For example, some of the upperclassmen put together a runway fashion show about once a month as part of the curriculum. The first time Scott gave them this freedom, our students are so creative, the fashion show included someone dressed as a cheeseburger. Yup. Sooo, now, Scott & the educators in charge give the students parameters, & they have a (structured) blast! We as the educators were the "grand finale" in the most recent show -it was an "Around the World" theme. I was a Russian, wore my cousin Lee's fur coat, & my students did my hair & makeup that morning. I'll try to upload the pictures tonight (or very soon!) -we just got the internet hooked up in our apt yesterday. So, the theme is, work is great -I'm learning SO much, being stretched in whole new ways, & it's definitely proving to be a good challenge.
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
I think it's time for you to go home now.
Mark it on your calendars -I, Sara, sent my first student home today. Yup, they crossed the line. Not that it was pleasant, but I'm learning how to be stern & make my students do what they're told. Whew. Scott (who's co-teaching with me this month. He's also my boss/head educator/sales & marketing manager) sent a student home, I sent a student home, and a third left on her own before I would have sent her home. What didn't they do? They didn't have the "tools" (rollers for rollersets, a mannequin head with hair long enough to practice the cut we taught them this morning, etc) they needed to execute what was asked of them today (& it's on the calendar we hand out each month). Graham Webb Academy is super structured, & admittedly has a lot of rules, but our students really flourish (& even enjoy themselves) once they settle into the saddle -mostly because they are SO creative that they need to know the parameters of the "sandbox" they get to "play" in! For example, some of the upperclassmen put together a runway fashion show about once a month as part of the curriculum. The first time Scott gave them this freedom, our students are so creative, the fashion show included someone dressed as a cheeseburger. Yup. Sooo, now, Scott & the educators in charge give the students parameters, & they have a (structured) blast! We as the educators were the "grand finale" in the most recent show -it was an "Around the World" theme. I was a Russian, wore my cousin Lee's fur coat, & my students did my hair & makeup that morning. I'll try to upload the pictures tonight (or very soon!) -we just got the internet hooked up in our apt yesterday. So, the theme is, work is great -I'm learning SO much, being stretched in whole new ways, & it's definitely proving to be a good challenge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sweet, demure Sara was forced to send someone home?! What a day it must have been! Now that I have your address (yes, thank you for the birthday wishes!), I am working on sending a card full of becky-smiles your way soon=) Love to you both.
.bj.
Post a Comment